Hypocrisy Part Deux  

Posted by: Audrey in

Maybe I'm being too cynical in my life or something, but these days I keep seeing contradicting stuff that just makes me feel so....so....cheated (for a lack of a better word).

Just yesterday, Sis brought back a magazine (you know, those 'Health & Beauty' type magazines all filled with photos of models in extravagant clothes that we can never afford, and tonnes of advertisements for beauty products that don't really ever work?) after her shopping spree and being the 'snob' that I am, I flipped through the pages. The first thing that caught my eye was this huge title on the cover saying "Keep your curves and lose an average of 1kg a week" or something to that extent. That in itself got me thinking, "Why in the world would you promote curviness in a woman and YET get people to lose weight? A little bit contradicting, don't you think?" 

Still, curiosity got the best of this cat (and you know where that leads to!); I flipped to the article hoping to see that there are some ladies who are slightly bigger than normal women, and what did they do to be a little bit more in shape & healthier. Guess what I saw? Pretty women who were not in the least curvy to warrant that term! For one, they look kind of short, and these petite women are FAR from being called fat! Sure, they tried to make them look fat by putting terms like "Whole Body Mass", "Muscle Mass", "Fat Mass", and "Body Age", but nobody really understands it that much! And to make it worse, these ladies don't even hit the weight ABOVE 60kg! Oh, let's not ignore the fact that they ALSO added a little note about their "Ideal Weight"...and all of them were actually UNDERWEIGHT!!! What. The. Eff. Right??? 

Here they go promoting 'curves' (more like skin & bones to me) and then getting them ladies to lose weight when they're already grossly underweight (case in point: there's this lady who is only 47.7kg and her ideal weight was 60.6kg. After 3 weeks of 'healthy' eating and exercising, she became a waif thin 46.9kg. Go figure)! To think they would have the audacity to put it out in print...and distribute it to women all around the world! (This particular magazine has franchises all over the world....dare I say it? The name starts with a "C" and is similar to that famous Egyptian queen, Cleopatra)

Sure, I get it that in order to lose weight properly and all, healthy eating and exercise are important. They did give some great ideas on how to eat healthy, but to use underweight ladies as examples just screams hypocrisy! And damnit, I'm feeling quite pissed...or maybe it's the hormones. Or maybe I'm just unsatisfied with the way I am. Blah.

1 comments

Not too plump yet not too skinny... It's all about balancing... Good Luck, Sis~~

Post a Comment