Sherlock Holmes - "My Dear Watson..."  

Posted by: Audrey in

Something up-to-date first...haha! One of my New Year's wishes (I don't really like resolutions...I always end up NOT doing it properly, so there!) would be to update my blogs as quickly as possible so I don't lose my train of thought. =)

Watched this a couple of days ago with sis and some good friends...I have to admit, I have not read the books of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (though of course I have heard of Sherlock Holmes and his adventures), so I went in with no inkling of what to expect. Did it deliver? YES!!

The story was set way back in the time where London was dark, dingy and dirty...and expect the atmosphere of the movie to be just that. But it does the job of setting the tone of the movie - which shows the case that Holmes and Watson are working on - steeped in 'paranormal' activities. Lord Blackwood, a notorious bad guy, was caught by Holmes and Watson...and subsequently hanged (even being pronounced dead by Watson himself). Holmes became bored after that, lurking at home and conducting experiments on his poor dog (hillarious but at the same time sad for the dog!) when he found out mysterious things are happening and it appears that Blackwood is NOT dead! *gasp* Without giving too much away, Holmes and Watson set out to uncover the mystery...and succeeded in unravelling all the conundrums that Blackwood threw at them.


Swoon-worthy (and funny) Holmes in a brawl scene that's super cool!

What I love about the movie was the observations of Holmes in every situation. Yes, I know he's a detective, and hence he HAS to be observant...but the Holmes that Robert Downey Jr. portrayed was not just pompous and witty, he was quite sarcastic and funny as well. From what little I knew about the Holmes everybody loved...he was just a normal detective who relied on his in-depth knowledge and brilliant deduction methods to solve a case. THIS Holmes was that...and more! Not only he was involved heavily (up to the point of fighting with the baddies a la Jackie Chan style) but he does it with panache and brings it to a whole new level =)

One of my favorite quotes from the movie:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."


How apt! Often times we like to come to conclusions before we even find enough evidence for it, or just twist facts to 'prophesies' so that it would feel right! Scary, isn't it? But so true...=) Still, I digressed!

The camaraderie and banter between Holmes and Watson were awesome as well! Love Jude Law's interpretation of the obssessive note-taker that is Watson...he was definitely on par with Robert Downey Jr. and it shows (on-screen at least) that they are the bestest of friends! Rachel McAdams plays Irene Adler, the woman who apparently was the only one who could outwit and outsmart Holmes. Though she is super pretty in the movie, I can't help but think that the writers have underplayed Irene's cleverness. It's as though she was there because they need a love interest or some sort for Holmes. *sigh* Which is sad, coz from what I have read about Irene, she is definitely brilliant...what a movie it would be if she was given a fleshier (figuratively!) role in the movie instead of some damsel in distress (for a smart woman, you'd think she would be able to evade capture, but she got caught as bait for Holmes...twice. *smacks head*)

The pace of the movie was great though...the thought process of Holmes on how to defeat an opponent was a favorite of mine. And I do like how they left clues all over for the audience to try and figure out what happened. Loved the explanation in the end on how they uncovered the mysteries! So, if you love mysteries, action, or just Robert Downey Jr. go watch it! You won't be disappointed =)  Can't wait for the sequel (you know there'll be one! ;) ) as they will be bringing in Prof. Moriarty! Meanwhile, let me go and see if I can scrounge up those Holmes' novels to bring me up to speed...heh!

0 comments

Post a Comment