Perspective...  

Posted by: Audrey in

Whenever I see or hear the word "perspective", I'm always reminded of Anton Ego from "Ratatouille" and his way of saying it....super cool, ego-tistic and a bit sarcastic. Love it! Anyways, I was thinking of writing about something else, but this word kept popping in my head whenever I try to think of a title so I figured...why not? I'm kind of 'free-writing' at the moment, so forgive me if the grammar is a bit out of whack. LOL!

Let's see...perspective, perspective. There are always two different sides to the coin, different views on the matter, and as my Dad loves to quote, "We need to look at things from a helicopter view: where we see things from all perspectives / angles." And I guess there will always be people who will disagree with me on this little 'matter' (Hey, this DOES kinda tie in together...YAYY!)

I've always been kind of independent as a kid...even until now, whenever I can, I will just try and do things by myself first before going to ask someone for help. Google has definitely been my good friend since I was introduced to it in uni (LOL!) and most things I usually could 'solve' by taking some time and working it out on my own (albeit sometimes it'll be super slow, but hey I get it done. *grins*) So, I guess you could say I am comfortable being alone and all.

Just yesterday, I was chatting with a friend about our different hobbies. I told her about my fondness for musicals and my plans to go watch some of them in the near future...and the next thing she asked me was, "Who are you going with?" When I said that I usually go to these things alone, I got a shocked look followed by curiosity. "Why don't you ask other friends to go with you?" and other similar questions ensued...

Honestly, I don't know what's the big fuss about going for shows by myself...LOL! I've been to quite a few shows by myself, and have enjoyed them immensely. True, it would have been nice to have a friend to go with - especially during the waiting period before the show starts and everyone milling around the entrance are with their dates / groups and chatting, while you stand around awkwardly looking at the watch and willing for time to move faster - but during the show anyways, I wouldn't be chatting with my friend about the show and stuff like that. I'll be so engrossed it'll be like I went there alone! So yeah, there you have it...my loner confession. =P

My friend proceeded to say that she'll never really go unless there's someone that she can 'drag' along at least...apparently she feels 'safer' knowing that there is someone that is there with her. To me, that kinda sounds like a clingy person (though I never told her so) seeing that someone will only ever do something when there's someone else accompanying him / her. That would be so hindering when one wants to try new things! True, it will be terrifying at first coz you're venturing out on your own but after a while you'll get used to it...after all, haven't we been going about things on our own since we were kids? You know, our first days in school....all the way up to uni and even in our work. Don't we all start alone somewhere? After that initial first few days, things start getting into the 'normal' groove and we feel comfortable again. I've always thought about things like this, so it's always kinda fun to try something new and most of the time I don't mind going at it alone coz not many people share the same sentiments as me.

A good example would be travelling...I've always wanted to go backpacking across countries and see the world. Don't know when that will happen (probably not in the near future!), but when I can afford it, I don't think I will find someone that will want to go on the same trip with me. And honestly, whenever I go for trips especially with a large group of people...sometimes it can be pretty annoying having to tolerate everybody's whims and fancies. When in a group, I usually go with the flow, not wanting to create tension but most of the time the things that the majority likes, I'm not really in the mood for...which kinda sucks especially when we're in a pretty cool place and I want to go 'exploring' but the rest just wants to go to the tourist-y places. Hence, my preference to want to go alone so I can just up and go wherever and whenever I want to and not be stepping on anybody's toes. At the same time, I can go and enjoy the things that I am interested in and not having to wait or worse still, being rushed because the rest of the group has become bored (but I've just started -_-").

Yeah, I know...travelling alone has its cons too but most things in life have their pros and cons. I guess it's just a matter of whether we choose to go for it or not. Most of the time, I look at the pros and try it out...but at the same time, try to weigh out the cons as well and be aware of some consequences just in case. It's worked well for me so far, so I'm happy with it. Like the title says, it's about perspective. I may seem like a loner, but sometimes being alone isn't all that bad =) Yes, I have had times where I feel like crap and needed someone really close that I can talk to...but until I find that someone, I don't think I want to sit around and mope and miss out on some fun things in life. So, going at it alone is good enough for me =)

0 comments

Post a Comment