Of Weddings and Comparisons...  

Posted by: Audrey in

Whew, it has been a hectic few weeks...work, events, etc. Got loads to share but I'll start with the earliest ones I remember :)

The past month I had attended two weddings, and they were both as different as night and day. Don't get me wrong...both of them were beautiful ceremonies, but I can't help noticing the differences between them; one is a somewhat traditional Chinese wedding dinner, and the other a beautiful Catholic church wedding ceremony & luncheon. Wish I had photos to show, but I didn't bring my camera for both occasions...not really a bad thing I guess, coz I get to enjoy the events to the fullest instead of being busy just taking photos =)

The first wedding I attended was my colleague's...held in a Chinese restaurant, it was a quite a big affair with (I think) about 30 tables or more. The usual 8-course meal is served with everybody chatting happily all around. Then came the speeches from the friends of the bride and groom, parents and one gets to witness how everyone is so happy for the couple. The 'toast' to the couple consists of several long "Yum Seng" cheers and much laughter as some tables try to outdo each other. And as the couple goes around the room to toast each table, I was sitting there watching the video footage of their tea ceremony...so cute to watch the groom and his posse being 'teased' (that's a gross understatement! LOL!) by the bride's 'ji muis' before being allowed to see the bride; the tea ceremony to the respective relatives and all. I've been to quite a few weddings like this myself, but watching the video that day it somehow feels more fun. LOL! Dunno...maybe it's the atmosphere. Everyone is so merry and cheerful, it rubs off on you I guess =) 

The other wedding I attended was an ex-colleague and good friend of mine. Me, being the ever blur person got lost on the way to the church! But arrive I did, and was blown away by the splendor of the church building. I reached JUST in time to see her walking to the entrance of the church and subsequently down the aisle...she was GORGEOUS! I still remember reveling at the beautiful stained glass windows, ("stained glass" sounds so crude for something so pretty though) and the structure of the building as I walk in to take my seat in the crowd. Wow! I've never been inside a Catholic church in person, so to see everything up close is amazing. As the ceremony proceeds, it is quite enlightening to see how a wedding ceremony is conducted in the Catholic faith. For one, I am very surprised that everything is rather solemn and seems 'rigid' (everything is written out in the program booklet...down to the wedding vows and what the congregation should say in the ceremony) but in the midst of the rigidity, there is something majestic about it. Somehow, you feel tranquil and at peace, which I really needed at the time. Sitting there, I'm reminded of the stories a friend told me about the Catholic faith and how it sort of 'came to life' for me when I witness the communion ceremony...lovely =) 

No, I have no plans of getting married if that is what's implied here...LOL! But it's always great to be able to be part of that special day for the happy couple. Even with 2 totally different cultures and religion, the theme is still the same...happiness and joy! Will I ever get married? (I seem to get asked this a lot these days...signs of getting old! >.<") I honestly can't give an answer to that. To quote a line from 'Pride and Prejudice', "I'm 27, with no prospects and no connections..." would anyone want me? Do I wait for my "Mr. Right" or just go with whoever who seems to show any interest? That is for me to find out I guess. LOL!

0 comments

Post a Comment