Kickboxing = Kick-ass FUN!  

Posted by: Audrey in

So, it was my third session with my personal trainer, Jack...I had arrived earlier and did about 30 mins of cardio on the treadmill (This time around, I got 'smart' and brought my earphones along...heh! With the earphones plugged in, I find myself being able to distract myself from looking too frequently at the timer while I ran / walked, bringing my total calories burned to almost 250 and I walked / ran for about 4+ km! YAYY!). Feeling gung ho, I went eagerly to the session thinking that maybe we'd do more of the machines but Jack said he wants to do some kickboxing. Woohoo! Caught me by surprise, but it's a good one =) Been curious as to how they train kickboxing and since Jack has been training Muay Thai for more than 10 years(!!!) I was all set!

He first wrapped my hands with boxing handwraps...I felt like those competition fighters where I had an assistant doing it for me. LOLL! Quite interesting too to see how it's done...Jack mentioned that there are so many different ways for wrapping the hands, i.e for competitions they don't use such long wraps, etc. Then, he proceeded to help me with the gloves and I'm ready to kick butt. LOL! 

I was then taught the basic stance (whenever we're not punching or kicking, the stance is important to protect your face from being hit), and then it was the basic punches (jab, cross, hook, upper cut) and basic kicks (front push, front kick). It felt a little awkward at first trying out the punches, as the gloves felt bulky and I'm not used to punching coz capoeira doesn't do much punching. LOL! But after a few tries and encouragement from Jack, I managed to do it =) Don't think I got all the postures right, but Jack said he will work on them with me more the next time.

From then on, we did  some basic combos with the punches and kicks and I have to admit, it was super fun and a stress reliever too. Basically, I don't really get to think too much as I was concentrating on getting the combos & postures right, hitting the focus mat / sandbag at the right areas, and trying to do it with some speed. Then when I got those out of the way, it was fun to pretend that I'm punching those blues away! I probably looked like an idiot trying to punch my trainer, but bleh...I've learnt that being shy in training sessions makes you lose out on actually learning the techniques so I just went for it. And boy, was it satisfying when the session was over! I think I was a little high on the endorphin released after the workout (LOL!) that I went back on the treadmill to do another 15 mins of cardio...played around with the machine's functions and found one that is set for you to do walking or running in different settings! This one had a gradient thingy, which basically means the machine slopes up according to how many percentage that you set it and simulates walking up a hill I guess. Quite a cool thing too...but I didn't want to stress it too much, so I went on a beginner's setting. Managed to burn another 100 calories and a distance of about 1.1 km. =) 

After that, I finally felt pooped...LOL! Went to take a hot shower and it was such a nice feeling, but I only felt the full effects of the workout when I reached home...thank goodness! My legs felt wobbly but I find that I like it...heh! My sis always tells me that I enjoy 'torture'..LOL! Maybe I am...but only for workouts, nothing else. LOL! Anyways, that was a thoroughly enjoyable session...I might just ask Jack if we could do that more often. It's a great variety to just doing machines or group classes; plus, I get to kick butt (in a way) *grins*

0 comments

Post a Comment