Birthdays....  

Posted by: Audrey in ,

Wow, it's been a hectic 2 weeks and I'm only FINALLY able to sit down properly and try to type out this entry. LOL! Been mulling about this for some time now, so here goes =)

It was my birthday some 2 weeks ago. I turned 27...haha! Yes, I'm not afraid to reveal my age =P Probably coz the phase of being afraid to let people know my age has not hit yet, but this year had been somewhat different compared to the previous ones...don't think I've really written about my birthday before so this is a first too! LOL! First things first, I want to post up some photos (since my previous posts have been pretty much devoid of photos, I thought I'd 'spice' it up a bit. Hahahaha!)

This was a little birthday cake that my colleagues got for me the day before my actual birthday! My birthday fell on a public holiday (for Selangor state...so YAYYY!) so some of my colleagues got me one to celebrate. Wasn't really a surprise as some of the girls asked me to drive them to the bakery (pretending that they wanted to buy cake)! Haha! But it was still sweet that they thought of my birthday and the cake was a REALLY yummy one =) Chocolate mousse to be exact, with some glazed strawberries. Yum! And they made me eat like 3 slices of it! And OMG I've now only realized that my hairline is receding....EEP! I'm going to need hair transplants soon!


On my actual birthday, I had a 'date' with S & K, two of my colleagues who recently I've also become good friends with...our birthdays are kind of close to each other's so we thought we'd celebrate it together by going out for lunch and a movie. So, we headed to Sushi Tei at Tropicana City Mall. This was what I had...soba with scallops and egg. Very scrumptious! =)


There were also other great foods that we ordered but this was my favourite...tropical salmon maki! The salmon was fried briefly with some tempura, then wrapped with some thin slices of avocado, seaweed and topped with some yellow shrimp roe. Very nice, as the salmon is super tender =)


After lunch we headed for a movie ("Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes", which was STUPENDOUS! I wish I had remembered to blog about it, but it was quite some time ago since I've watched it that I'm not sure I'll do justice to it. Hmm...maybe I should watch it again! Heh!) and straight on to dessert...frozen yogurt! I've heard all about Tutti Frutti, but have yet to actually try it so this was a real treat. The staff was nice enough to let me sample all the flavours before I made my choice...and it was super yummy! Burned quite a hole in my wallet but meh, it's my birthday right? LOL!

And the celebrations didn't actually end on that day...the whole tester team at my office decided to treat me to lunch the next day, and it was a nice meal too! Will try to post up a blog about it ASAP in the next blog. =) On my family side, we didn't really celebrate my birthday as I had to work that night (that part-time job thingy that sucked) but my elder sis got me some skincare products (which are super nice!) and younger sis got me something too, which is...



THIS AWESOME CAKE! It was from a super cool bakery place called "Delectable" in The Gardens...loved it! Look at the pretty details on the cake...I so wish I had the creativity to make this sort of cake! The taste was awesome too...vanilla cake with a little bit of a citrus-y, ginger-y after taste, layered with buttercream. Yum!


***********************************************************

Well, aside from all the gushing about how fun my birthday was (it was, and I had a good time. Heh!), I had a bit of a mulling over when I turned 27. Got thinking about how I am now considered in my 'late twenties', what have I really accomplished so far; have I really matured enough to warrant being a 27-year-old, or did I waste my twenties away? So I thought it'd be fun to put down some points of how I was 10 years ago, and where do I stand with those opinions now:
  • 10 years ago: My biggest worries were things like where do I go after high school? Do I go to college? Form 6? University? What kind of courses do I choose? Science / Arts stream?
    Now:
    I worry about work....Am I doing enough / Am I NOT doing enough? How do I stay away from the politics of work without it jeopardizing my relationship with my colleagues or my performance? Will I stay with this company for long, or do I move on to a better company when the time is right? When IS the right time to move on? If I DO move on, will I ever know if it's the correct move or did I just screw myself over again?
  • 10 years ago: Guys with androgynous looks are super cute / handsome to me. I fancied artistes like Kian and Shane from Westlife, or the Japanese / Korean / Spanish actors of that time (can't exactly pinpoint who I had a total crush on that time...gosh, too long ago. LOL!)
    Now: I have a soft spot for guys with a well-kept five o'clock shadow. LOL! The clean shaven look is also cool, but I dunno...I find it quite sexy that a guy has a wee bit of a stubble. LOL! Hmm...let's see. Loved Aragorn in LOTR, Hugh Jackman, David Cook, Ramin Karimloo, Wentworth Miller, Gale Harold...and the list can go on and on. Haha!
  • 10 years ago: My type of music would only be like the Top 40 chart songs on Hitz FM. Mostly pop songs...notably boybands. Yes, I've been in that teeny bopper phase of being a HUGE fan of Westlife. They were the only boyband that I've ever done crazy things for, like buying every single album (even the so-called 'deluxe' editions where they release the same album + a measly few more songs with a decidedly higher price!), buying tonnes of magazines so I could read about them (and a lot of these mags were from the UK...not cheap!) and cut out their photos so I could put them in my scrapbook, collecting any sort of memorabilia on them and attending almost all their concerts whenever they came down to KL (they did come down a lot those days!) Come to think of it...I think I still do have some of their memorabilia left with me. Haha! Wonder what it would be like when I look it up!
    Now: I still do enjoy Westlife's songs, but not in that teeny bopper way anymore. My taste in music (if that's what you call it. LOL!) have sort of diverged into stuff like Linkin Park (also a huge fan!); quite a few independent artistes like Joshua Payne, Darin Southam, David Choi, Jonathan Clay; and of course pop-classical artistes like Josh Groban, Il Divo, Teatro; musicals and most of the easy-listening genre =)
  • 10 years ago: I'm always wondering if I'll ever find a boyfriend, especially when a lot of my friends have started dating already and it's quite depressing to say the least.
    Now: I am STILL wondering....LOL! Now, the situation has somewhat changed though as most of my friends are either in a relationship, got engaged, married / getting married, or have kids / planning for kids. And the question that always begged to be asked whenever people see me is, "So, when's your turn?" *rolls eyes* Can't say I'm exactly depressed, but it's a bit disheartening. And yet, I'm also sort of resigned...if I'm meant to be a spinster for the rest of my life, I guess so be it. *shrugs*
  • 10 years ago: I HATED the way that I looked...partly because I was already overweight (yes, even at that age!) and my face was like a poster for bad skin. Tried all sorts of things (which I could afford at the time) but to no avail, until my Mom decided she'd bring me to the dermatologist. Helped me in some way as my skin started clearing a little bit...but I was not a happy teenager to say the least.
    Now: I've learnt that a lot of problems we have with our bodies stem from our emotions...my bad skin was a manifestation of how I hated myself, which is kind of true. My bad skin was a result of me hating myself, and when I see myself in this condition, I hated myself even more....creating a vicious cycle. *sigh* So, am trying hard to be more positive and not to think so much that I'm fugly. It helps a little that I'm starting to lose some weight coz of the exercise, and I've started to use a little makeup to conceal the redness so that I look fractionally normal and not an alienoid. Hence, I'm keeping the positive thoughts going. Also waiting for a good time (read: financially able) to get to a dermatologist as the skin is not looking much better....I was so naive thinking that acne is for teenagers. Here I am in my late twenties, and I'm still breaking out! On the one hand, I could say that my skin is still in its teens. Wahahahaa! But on the other, it's getting really annoying that I still have to deal with this after so long. Pfft!

I've got a bunch more, but I realize this has gotten so long I've probably bored the wits out of you who is reading this (if there is ANYBODY reading this at all. LOL!) so I shall stop there. It has been fun reminiscing about old times....I wonder what it would be like 10 years from now. =) I'm hoping I change more for the better and that I'll be as happy as I could be. *crosses fingers*

2 comments

I did read finish :P

You had a great birthday! New beginning, everything will be better than before. 10 years later when you look back I'm sure you've gained more ;) Cheers.

Hehe, thanks Vivian! You are my one and only loyal reader ;)

I certainly hope that things will turn out for the better...cheers! :D

Post a Comment